Apple pectin in skin care
Apple pectin in skin care
Apple pectin in skin care is now a seasonable issue. Domestic apples are just now at their best. Apples are rich in important nutrients such as vitamins, trace elements and antioxidants. Therefore, it is worth eating apples as much as possible now. Did you know that apples can also be used to make cosmetics? Apples contain a carbohydrate called pectin.
What is apple pectin
Pectin is a carbohydrate found in the cell membranes of fruits, especially apple. Pectin is also found in other fruits such as citrus and apricots. Pectin includes polysaccharides.
Pectin is used as a gelling agent. In an acidic environment, pectin forms a jelly. Pectin is added to jam sugar just to make the jam thicker. Pectin is also used as a dietary fibre. It is a prebiotic that deals with intestinal health.
Apple pectin is very common in skin care. Apple pectin is most commonly used to support the cream emulsifier.
How is Apple pectin Made?
Pectin is industrially manufactured almost exclusively from citrus peel. The citrus peel contains about 30% pectin. So it is easy to produce pectin and the raw material is also free. Of course, apple pectin is made from apple. Pectin is most abundant in apple seedlings and husk. Industrially, pectin is extracted from fruits with dilute acid. The extraction takes several hours. Eventually, pectin dissolves in acid-containing water.
How does apple pectin affect your skin?
1. Pectin is rich in vitamins such as vitamin A and C. Pectin is rich in potassium, a trace element.
2. Like other carbohydrates, pectin binds moisture. Pectin is also a humectant like glyserol. Pectin keeps the skin pleasantly moisturized.
3. Pectin promotes cell renewal. It acts as an anti-aging product in the care of aging skin. Yves Rocher and the University of Descartes have investigated this.
4. Because of its high content of vitamins, pectin acts as an antioxidant. Vitamin C prevents the oxidation processes on the skin and prevents the aging process.
5. Vitamin A works effectively to repair sunlight damage. Vitamin A also corrects the signs of aging.
6. Apple pectin is a prebiotic food for beneficial skin microbes. It contributes to the well-being of the normal bacterial strain of the skin and thereby to the health of the skin.
Apple pectin in skin care soothes the skin
Apple pectin soothes out the uneven colour of the skin surface. Apple pectin has a positive effect on subcutaneous collagen production. Subcutaneous collagen decreases with age and makes our skin look more wrinkled. Vitamins and other plant chemicals in apple pectin increase the collagen production of human body.
It has been claimed that apple pectin does reduce inflammation. However, this is not the case. Apple pectin is not a suitable for acne skin. It is a prebiotic that acts as a food for bacteria. Therefore, I do not recommend apple pectin for inflamed skin, rosacea, rashes or acne.
Pectin is known in cosmetics as an emulsifier for thickening and gelling ointments. It is a well-tolerated ingredient that at the same time cares the skin. Pectin alone cannot act as an emulsifier. Instead, it increases the viscosity in acidic face waters. Apple pectin is particularly useful thickener, especially in facial toners.
Where Can I Buy Apple Pectin?
Pure apple pectin is available from health food stores and sports stores. Fitness people and body builders use apple pectin as a dietary fibre. The available product is pure apple pectin, which can also be used in cosmetics. You can also find organic apple pectin powder from internet.
Self-made apple pectin
There is another way to obtain apple pectin. You can prepare the liquid containing apple pectin by yourself. All you need is ordinary organic apples. Use peel and apple shells to make pectin. They contain the most pectin. You would probably throw away these parts of the apple anyway.
Cut 2 ½ dl or 1 cup of apple peel and seeds into small pieces. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of ascorbic acid and 2 ½ dl 1 cup of boiling water. Pour the mixture over the apple skins and the seeds. Allow the mixture to cool down and filter it using cotton or thin cloth. The liquid is now rich in apple pectin and you can use it in creams and facial toners. Below please find a recipe for a facial toner.
Ascorbic acid is essential in the liquid because it extracts pectin from the apple. Instead of ascorbic acid you can also use a tablespoon of apple vinegar.
Apple pectin in skin care; how to use it?
There are a few things to keep in mind when using apple pectin powder.
• The powder is a very strong concentrate. You do not need it much. ¼ teaspoon of apple pectin powder to 1 dl ½ cup of liquid is just enough.
• Apple pectin powder coagulates in water. It is really impossible for you to make it mix or dissolve in the liquid by mixing or whipping. Do not worry. Put the powder in a container and pour the liquid over it. Let the mixture stand undisturbed overnight and a miracle has happened. Apple pectin is slowly dissolved in the liquid.
• You can add ascorbic acid (¼ tsp / 1 dl liquid) or apple tartar vinegar (1 teaspoon / 1 dl liquid) with apple pectin powder to water to enhance the effect of apple pectin. If you are already using acidic liquid, no acid addition is required.
• Apple pectin can also be used in powders and eye shadows to keep the cake in shape.
• Please bear in mind again that everything is not suitable for everyone. If you are allergic to apple, do not use apple pectin Also consider cross-allergies such as birch allergy.
Easy and effective facial toner from apple pectin
You will need:
• 2 dl or ¾ cups of home-made apple pectin water (see instructions above) or 2 dl of water and ½ teaspoon of apple pectin powder (put them into a container and allow dissolving overnight)
• 1 dl or ½ cup witch hazel water
• 40 drops of Geogard 221 preservative (or use some other organic brand)
Do like this:
• Mix the liquids and pack in a sterilized bottle
• Store facial toner in the refrigerator. It will be usable about 2-3 weeks without preservative.
• If you use a preservative in facial toner, it will be usable for 2-3 months at room temperature if protected from sunlight.
Here is a summary of apple pectin for you. I encourage you to experiment to use of apple pectin. It is a safe and effective ingredient that has also been scientifically researched. It suits vey well for the care of aging skin and for moisturizing younger skin.
If you have apples in your garden, you are really lucky. Pectin facial toner is a new way to benefit of the harvest of your own garden.
Tell me did you like this recipe!