Salt is a very beneficial ingredient for the skin. However, we have not been seen it much in cosmetics. Only soaps contain salt nowadays commonly. Salt is a problematic ingredient. It is unsuitable for emulsions. Salt is also not suitable for products that are left on the skin. Long-term skin contact may cause irritation to sensitive skin. However, salt minerals are valuable to our skin. I’d like to share some few salt recipes now. You can easily make these products at home.
Salt fits into scrubs just like sugar. Salt has a dual action exfoliating effect. The crystalline composition of the salt acts as an abrasive ingredient. In addition, salt also has a chemically peeling effect. The salt softens the stratum corneum, the outer layer of our skin. This makes it easier to clean off dead skin cells.
All salts are suitable for salt peeling
I would use fine sea salt to scrub myself. Sea salt is a good quality basic salt. Save some special, fine salts for bath salts or for products you’ll leave on your skin.
This time we do two peelings using salt. First one is a gentle mung bean-salt facial scrub and the other one is a very fresh and cleansing salt – oil scrub for hands and feet.
Mung bean salt scrub for face
Mung beans are popular in China and India not only for nutrition but also for beauty care. Mung beans are deep cleansing but on the same time very gentle on the skin. They brighten and soothe the skin. Usually the skin tolerates to mung bean peeling well. Instead of mung beans, you can also use azuki beans (red mung beans) or gram flour (aka besan) made from chickpeas (found in grocery stores selling Indian food).
Mung bean salt scrub recipe is very simple to prepair
The only requirement is that you can grind the beans into a really fine powder. You should be able to do that with a coffee grinder.
An electric coffee grinder is really handy if you want to make powder cosmetics that is so popular nowadays. They are very cheap; I bought my own for 10 euros a couple of years ago. It grinds still well.
For mung bean salt peeling you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons dry mung beans
- 1 teaspoon really fine sea salt or rose salt, grind finer if necessary
Do like this:
- Grind the mung beans in a coffee grinder to a fine powder
- Strain the mung bean powder. The purpose is to get the powder as finely as possible. So strain it carefully.
- Mix the salted mung bean powder with salt
- Pack the powder in a can/jar with a lid.
How to use mung bean salt scrub?
- Take a small amount (1 teaspoon) of scrub powder in your hand and add some drops of water to form a paste. Mix well.
- Use the paste for scrubbing your face and neck very gently and without applying too much pressure.
- Then rinse face and neck with lukewarm water. Dry your face and add few drops of good oil to your face by tapping gently. Use a mung bean scrub once a week.
- The mung bean peeling is very gentle. It does not scrub toughly your face like so many scrubs do.
Modifications to mung bean peel
If you want a really sensitive skin exfoliating cream, add 1 teaspoon of moisturizing cream to a single dose (1 teaspoon of mung bean scrub powder).
If you want a softer exfoliation on your skin, add 1-2 teaspoons of fine oatmeal, preferably colloidal oatmeal, to the whole set of exfoliating powder.
For oily skin
If you want make exfoliating powder for oily skin, add 1 teaspoon of Rhassoul clay or bentonite clay to the whole set of mung bean exfoliating powder. Clay absorbs extra fat from the skin.
If you want anti-ages peeling, add 1 teaspoon of green tea to a single dose (1 teaspoon) of mung bean peeling powder.
Invent yourself more variations of mung bean peeling. I’m sure you’ll be thrilled to bean powders.
Fresh mint-lemon-salt peeling for hands and feet
This oil-containing exfoliator is emulsifying. It turns white in water and it is easy to wash off. Thanks to the coconut oil, this exfoliator is super moisturizing and healing. Use this scrub only for feet and hands.
These ingredients you will need for mint-lemon-salt peeling:
- 50 gr. fine sea salt
- 1 grated rind of lemon
- 1 tablespoon of dried mint
- 30 ml of coconut oil
- 10 gr. Olivem 1000 emulsifiers
Do like this:
- Grate the lemon and place the grated rind with the mint on the baking tray. Owen should be heated to 100 degrees Celsius (212 F). Put the tray in the owen for 30 minutes.
- Use water boiler (double bath). Place coconut oil and Olivem 1000 emulsifier to inner container.
- Heat the oil until the Olivem has completely melted. Use frother to make the liquid smooth.
- Let the mixture stay at 80 degrees Celsius (176 F) for 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the water bath and add sea salt, grated lemon rind and mint you kept in the owen.
- Cool the mixture down to 40 degrees Celsius (104 F) and add 5 drops of essential oils (like grapefruit) if desired
Bath salts are really wonderful. They are perhaps the best-known salt cosmetics. Salt softens water and brings minerals to the bath. The Dead Sea salt is definitely the best bath salt. Dead Sea salt is extremely rich in minerals, not just sodium, like other salts. Use Dead Sea Salt as a bath salt: 2 decilitres of salt in a bath of warm water. Allow salt minerals to soak for at least 20 minutes. In salt the minerals are in the form that are best absorbed in the skin.
Oats-salt-Marseille soap baths
Oats are a very good conditioner for eczema skin. It soothes the skin and reduces itching. This bath contains also grated soap and salt. Grated soap emulsifies the oil in the bath. The oil spreads evenly on the skin and does not float on the surface of the water. Adding soap to the bath also helps to clean the bath tub.
You will need the following ingredients for oat-salt-Marseille soap bath:
- 2 decilitres of sea salt
- 1 ½ decilitres of sunflower oil or any other vegetable oil you prefer
- 1 decilitres of very fine oatmeal
- 2 decilitres grated Marseille soap
- 2-5 drops of essential oils if desired
Do like this:
- Grate Marseille soap. Measure airy 2 decilitres of grated soap in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix until you get a smooth paste.
- If desired, add essential oils and mix the paste thoroughly again.
- Use about 2-3 tablespoons of ready make paste in your bath water. Yes, really, 2-3 teaspoons is enough.
Disinfectant and soothing Facial spray
Saline solution reduces the oil in the skin. It is worth of trying this if your skin gets oily very quickly after cleansing.
- 120 ml of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Mix the ingredients in a small spray bottle. Cool the mixture to room temperature. Spray 1-2 times a day. Avoid skin around the eyes.
Salt for nail care
Salt cares for the nails and softens the cuticles. This recipe also contains baking soda and lemon to brighten nail colour and eliminate yellowing on your nails.
For nail care you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Mix the ingredients and 1 ½ decilitres of hot water in a bowl. Soak the nails in a bowl for 10 minutes. The cuticles have now softened. Wash your hands with a soft brush, dry and moisturize.
Here are some of the saltwater cosmetics I tried out. I really hope you are excited to try one or more of these recipes. Please tell me how you did it!
One of the best things about coconut water is its skin cleansing feature. I have not been able to figure out why coconut water has such a feature. It is similarly anti-bacterial as coconut oil. Therefore, this facial water is especially good for impure skin.
Coconut water contains a large variety of mineral salts including potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium. In coconut water mineral salts are just the best form so that the skin benefits from them. They are very small particles in plant’s own juice in a best possible form for absorption.
In addition, coconut water contains sugars that moisturize the skin as well as vitamin C. Vitamin C makes miracles for your skin. It should always be added to the products because it will not last very long.
Aloe Vera is a well- known skin-loving and treating ingredient. Aloe Vera soothes the skin and reduces pores. In addition, aloe vera gel provides a suitable texture for the facial toner. You can also prepare aloe vera gel from the powder. The powder is sold in stores selling raw materials for home cosmetics. It is very plentiful and is more affordable than fresh Aloe Vera juice in bottles.
Gentle Cleansing and facial toner from coconut water and Aloe Vera
For Cleansing Coconut Water Facial toner, you need
- 150ml coconut water
- 50ml Aloe Vera gel, either fresh juice or from powder. Follow the dilution ratio in the package if you are using the powder.
How to make coconut water facial toner
- Add coconut water and aloe vera gel in a glass bottle and shake well.
- Use as standard facial water or spray on face. You can also try Korean style and add layers on your face.
- Store the bottle in a refrigerator as it is a fresh product. Use it in a week.
- If you want the product to last longer, you should heat it for 20-30 minutes at 80 º C and add a preservative. By doing this you will lose your vitamin C and perhaps other active ingredients. Personally, I want to use the products as fresh as possible and don’t want to warm them up or add preservatives.
Effective cleaning paste made of coconut oil
This cleanser is a traditional home cosmetics product and very good for acne skin. Baking soda can detach and remove very dry skin and dead tissue. This cleanser is also suitable if you want to brighten your skin or want to remove the makeup especially carefully from the skin.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a very often used wrongly. It is an alkaline substance that effectively removes fat and impurities. In addition, the baking soda has a mildly exfoliating property. You can read about my post about baking soda from here. For this cleansing paste, baking soda suits perfect.
Coconut oil is solid if you keep it under 25 degrees Celsius. At over 25 degrees it becomes liquid and is easy to pack in a bottle. This is worth remembering, when preparing cosmetic products from coconut oil.
Coconut oil is not absorbed easily into the skin
That’s why it’s a very good product to clean your makeup from the skin. Also, eye makeup is also easily removed with pure coconut oil. This cleansing oil contains also baking soda. That’s why you can’t use it in the eye area.
Products containing coconut oil should be removed from the skin precisely because they clog the pores easily. So it is worth of cleansing the skin once again, for example, with a facial cleansing milk or with a facial foam cleanser. For daily skin cleansing this product is not suitable.
You need for coconut cleansing paste
- 50ml coconut oil
- 50ml baking soda
How to do coconut facial cleansing paste
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl
- Apply the cleanser either to the entire face area, avoiding eye contour or just on the desired problem areas.
- Rub gently for a couple of minutes
- Use a cloth soaked in hot water to remove the coconut cleanser very carefully. Repeat the process, if necessary, a few times.
Baking soda or Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is a very versatile and effective substance for many purposes. Most commonly, it has been used to baking. Baking soda needs acidic dough to function properly in cookies and cakes. Combination of acid and baking soda makes the dough sparkling or rise in the oven. Baking soda can also be used to relieve the symptoms of many diseases. Eco-cleaning and laundry are easily done with the baking soda. It is a safe chemical that should be available in every household.
However, no chemical is ever 100% safe and good for every purpose. This is also the case with Baking soda. The strengths of the baking soda should be identified and used in a deliberate manner in the right situations.
There is baking soda and soda. They are two different chemicals. Learn how to distinguish between them and use them correctly.
What is Baking soda
When we talk about soda we usually mean baking soda. I always mean sodium bicarbonate used in baking when referring baking soda. Soda itself means a different substance.
Baking soda, (NaHCO3), or sodium bicarbonate is a completely chemical product. It is not a naturally occurring substance such as soda or sodium carbonate (Na2Co3). Baking soda is produced from sodium (Na), ammonia (NH3) and carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide required in the process is usually obtained from soda or sodium carbonate (Na2CO3). This is what the two substances have to do with each other.
Baking soda is commonly used in baking and other food preparation. As an alkaline substance, it has traditionally neutralized too strong stomach acids. Also, baking soda is used for salicylate poisoning as a first aid. The soda blasting will gently refine delicate surfaces that are sensitive to scratching. Baking soda is a soft substance that does not damage, for example, glass or plastic surfaces.
Baking soda is mildly alkaline. You can find different claims on the net. Therefore, I measured the alkaline level of the Baking soda myself. I mixed 1,5 dl water and 2 teaspoons baking soda. As a result of the measurement, I received a PH value of about 8.5 which is a mild alkaline.
What is washing soda or sodium carbonate
We do not need a real washing soda at all in home cosmetics. I’m telling about sodium carbonate because it is good to know how to separate it from the baking soda and be careful. These two substances are mixed in people’s minds in general.
The actual soda (Na2Co3) is a very different substance than baking soda. Soda or sodium carbonate is a very alkaline substance that can NOT be used in cosmetics. NEVER PUT IT IN MOUTH OR, EAT IT OR SWALLOW IT. NEVER. Soda is naturally occurring mineral salt but can also be produced industrially. It is suitable for cleaning of surfaces before painting. As such, the soda solution spoils the painted wall. It is so alkaline, almost as alkaline as lye. Soda is used mainly by glass manufacturing industry.
The washing soda was also main ingredient in soap before the lye was invented. Washing soda was prepared earlier for making soap using tree’s ashes. In the nature, washing soda can be found in Africa as a natural mineral called “trona”. Also, in the USA Trona (Natural Soda) is mined more than it is produced industrially. Granulated washing soda is a product called pure soda or sodium carbonate.
The washing soda is also called crystal soda. It is available in hardware stores and decoration shops selling paint. Also washing soda is pure soda. It looks confusingly like baking soda. It is white, like baking powder. To avoid mistakes, keep washing soda out of the kitchen. Right place for washing soda is in cleaning closet, in stock or in a garage out of the reach of children. It would be dangerous to use accidentally washing soda instead of baking soda as a food ingredient. Washing soda is so called calcined soda, which is sold in ecological shops selling products for cleaning and washing.
I measured the washing soda solution pH myself. I mixed 1,5 dl water with 2 teaspoons of washing soda. I made the test using pH strips. The measurement scale of strips is from 4 to 10. Liquid was more alkaline than 10. This type of solution is very corrosive and can cause an incredibly bad consequences if you do not understand the strength of the solution. In some publications, washing soda is called a product that is similar to baking soda. This is false. In any case, these products may not be considered the same substance. Always keep all your washing sodas out of reach of children.
For what the baking soda is not so good
Baking soda is a very commonly used chemical in home cosmetics. It is perceived as an easy alternative to many uses. Baking soda is used mostly in Deodorants and Hair care. For both purposes, baking soda is a bad option.
- Baking soda as a deodorant is popular. However, it is not suitable for everyone. For most users, deodorants containing baking soda cause skin irritations and rashes. When armpits are sweating, the baking soda together with sweat forms very alkaline fluid. The skin does not like long-term exposure to the alkaline substances. Natural skin is acidic.
- Baking soda is often used regretfully often for hair-washing. The idea is to avoid the chemicals of shampoo. Baking soda, however, is a very rough treatment for the hair. It removes sebum from your hair. Baking soda washing is often completed with vinegar rinsing. I have told the dangers of vinegar rinsing in my earlier post. Vinegar closes the hair scales but also removes grease and moisture. After a few such treatments, your hair is destroyed.
- DIY toothpaste is often made from baking soda. Baking soda is suitable for tooth care if it is not used very much or too often. However, it is an abrasive material that can slowly damage the enamel of the tooth. Damaged tooth enamel will never come back. In no case, do not use baking soda as a powder substitute for toothpaste alone.
How you can you use baking soda in DIY cosmetics
Baking soda, however, has some very useful applications.
- You can use baking soda for peeling your skin. If you have body acne you can prepare effective baking soda peeling mask that will soothe and treat your acne skin. Alkaline products often soothe acne. The peeling should be carried out very gently on a skin that is not damaged. How to do baking soda peeling scrub, please find the recipe from the Recipes page.
- Prepare a funny and relaxing bath bombs. You can also make them as a gift. Once you learn the techniques of preparing your bath cubes, they are easy and quick to prepare. You can find the recipe in Recipes page.
- Baking soda freshens the breath. You don’t have to brush your teeth and damage the enamel on the baking soda. It is enough to mix baking soda in water and to rinse your mouth with baking soda water. A simple and non-toxic mouthwash will refresh the odor of your mouth.
- You can soothe your itchy skin by temporarily mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoon of basic body cream. Rub the paste on your itchy rash so you can get a sleep. Do not use this paste on damaged skin area. Next morning you should seek the correct treatment from experts. Baking soda cream is just a first aid that you do not scratch your skin during the night.
- Baking soda cools the skin. If you have itchy skin after sunbath mix a bit of soda with after sun cream. This should relief the itching and the skin gets cooler.
I hope these facts and tips were useful to you. If any of the things are good for you, please comment below this post.
How do you use baking soda in your home cosmetics?